Blue Planet Energy is a rapidly growing mission-driven company changing the way we power the world with safe, reliable battery systems. We build premium products that enable renewable energy adoption and energy security. Our products power the largest energy resilience projects in the US and assure the dependability of critical infrastructure, businesses and homes from Hawaii to the Caribbean and from Canada to Central America.
Blue Planet Energy strives to represent the communities we serve and to establish an inclusive model to drive our movement forward. We know our global mission cannot succeed without a diversity of talents, experiences, and perspectives bringing forward new solutions, approaches, and innovations. Among other diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, Blue Planet Energy is proud to join over 1,000 other companies in signing the CEO Action Pledge that promises to act on creating a more inclusive workplace for employees, communities, and societies at large.
We are delighted to open a new opportunity within the company for a Field Service Technician. The position can be done remotely from within the United States and will have frequent travel as needed for site visits, events, customer meetings, etc.
Do you love to geek out on the engineering of renewable energy projects? Do you feel like you’ve seen it all before, even in the challenging edge cases? Blue Planet Energy is looking for an Field Service Technician with a wide range of skills and experiences to contribute to our growing team.
The ideal candidate has extensive experience with solar and energy storage installations (grid-tied and off-grid) and can address the challenges customers face in designing, deploying and maintaining these systems and microgrids. This role requires a combination of excellent communication and customer service skills along with the technical knowhow to be an integral resource for customers and installers.
This position may involve periods of heavy travel, with up to 33% travel during certain months but more usually about 25% travel (will be combined with remote support). On site, the service technician will assist with technical trainings, system design, system installations, and troubleshooting and issue resolution.
- Perform remote and on-site technical support and troubleshooting for customers, investigate and create failure fault analysis reports to improve the product and processes.
- Perform and automate commissioning and provide energy system design and consultation for customers.
- Travel to visit partners throughout the United States
- Create written and multimedia technical and training documentation, including system documentation, Single Line Diagrams, and conduct customer training sessions.
- Maintain expert level knowledge of Blue Planet Energy products and software platforms.
- Be a resource to the Customer Care team for advanced installation challenges, including answering calls and emails for field support and guiding staff to resolve issues.
- Maintain relationships with the R&D team to ensure growing product expertise
- Utilize internal systems to document relevant call activity to ensure proper data capture, issue tracking, and customer-specific activities
- Generate reports based on available data to capture and analyze trends in service data
- Other duties as necessary to ensure high quality, proactive, customer focused service
- Must have direct, hands-on experience working with solar PV, energy storage, power electronics and/or electrical installations and strong understanding of low voltage, AC/DC systems, and split-phase and three-phase electrical power
- 3+ years of technical product experience within solar, energy storage, electronics, or technology industries
- "Problem Solver" mentality. Someone who loves to understand and resolve difficult problems
- Excellent customer interaction, communication and organizational skills. Ability to manage priorities and attention across a variety of projects.
- Excellent telephone and Microsoft Office Suite experience
- Strong oral and written skills and interpersonal communication skills
- Availability to work a flexible schedule around the operating business hours of: 8:00AM – 8:00PM Monday-Friday, with occasional availability on weekends
- Highly organized with the ability to clearly organize thoughts, schedules, reports, and databases
- Ability to understand complicated technical information and communicate such information to non-experts.
- Enthusiasm, creativity, and a desire to learn
- Intelligent, accountable, and self-assured mentality with a strong work ethic.
- Bachelor's degree in a technical related field
- Experience in IT networking
- Knowledge and understanding of electrical design codes (UL 508A, NEC, NEMA, NFPA 70E, IEEE, ANSI, NESC standards).
- Bi-lingual English/ Spanish speaking skills
- Strong interests in technology, renewable energy, and or energy storage
- Full time position
- Geographically flexible. Must be close to international airport. Preferably in areas of company operations (Bay Area, CA; Chicago, IL).
- Health, dental, vision benefits, 401k match and paid time off included
- Salary depending on experience.
Prepare an original cover letter explaining exactly why this position appeals to you and your relevant experience. Submit your cover letter, resume, and one example of your work (eg Whitepaper or technical article, technical training or presentation).