Blue Planet Energy is a rapidly growing mission-driven company changing the way we power the world with safe, reliable battery systems. We build premium products that enable renewable energy adoption and energy security. Our products power the largest energy resilience project in the US and assure the dependability of critical infrastructure, businesses and homes from Hawaii to the Caribbean and from Canada to Central America.
Blue Planet Energy strives to represent the communities we serve and to establish an inclusive model to drive our movement forward. We know our global mission cannot succeed without a diversity of talents, experiences, and perspectives bringing forward new solutions, approaches, and innovations. Among other diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, Blue Planet Energy is proud to join over 1,000 other companies in signing the CEO Action Pledge that promises to act on creating a more inclusive workplace for employees, communities, and societies at large.
We are delighted to open a new opportunity within the company for a Business Development Lead. The position can be done remotely from within the United States and will have frequent travel as needed for events, customer meetings, etc.
Our Business Development Lead will be the driver of growth in the company, constantly seeking aligned strategic partners and customers to accelerate deployment of clean energy. The position will ensure meeting company goals through strategic partnerships, new channels, products, and markets, and other transactions and opportunities. This role will help develop a stable pipeline of new opportunities from inception to close and maintaining the relationship thereafter. Coordinating with sales managers, the role will have involvement in strategic marketing, developing presentations, proposals and delivering them. The position will lead cross-functional collaboration efforts to ensure thorough company-wide vetting and approval of opportunities, and the successful negotiation, structuring, and execution of approved transactions. Additionally, this position will oversee the sales team to drive success in the performance of sales managers.
The candidate must have a strong drive and initiative in order to manage a portfolio of ongoing complex deals, and create and expand on a pipeline of opportunities to pursue strategic objectives. This position requires an ability to think analytically and critically, strong comfort with financial and business models, and continual internal and external relationship management.
- Originating and executing on new strategic initiatives and opportunities with concrete corporate results
- Successfully negotiating, structuring, and closing of transactions
- Creating and expanding a pipeline of opportunities to pursue strategic objectives
- Ranking and prioritizing opportunities to ensure alignment with company’s strategic objectives and near-, mid-, and long-term goals
- Develop in-depth knowledge of, and become expert in, target regions and markets, including regulatory incentives, and co- development opportunities; Identify and implement marketing initiatives and personal/professional outreach in the solar markets and storage markets, including developing origination materials, presenting to industry and customer constituencies, and identifying key marketing strategies and competitive differentiators.
- Track, update, coordinate, and originate opportunities directly and collaboratively.
- Work with sales team to develop and manage sales forecasts and budgets
- Support the sales team to meet monthly goals
- Represent sales in leadership team meetings
- Strategic relationship builder with both internal/external project stakeholders demonstrating personal integrity with a win/win mindset
- Experience in opportunity identification; demonstrated success in prospecting, identifying, and qualifying new (B2B) business opportunities.
- Successful at building and implementing customer acquisition plans.
- Experience in building relationships; ability to develop customer relationships through existing contacts and relationships; build relationships quickly.
- Excellent written and presentation skills
- Bachelor's degree: business, marketing, environmental, or technical degree
- 5+ years of experience in renewable energy business development or comparable business development or sales experience
- Fluency with complex financial models and transaction structures, and an understanding of different business models in energy, and energy-adjacent, industries
- Ability to effectively communicate with multiple different audiences
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite and tracking of relationships and opportunities in a CRM
- Basic legal knowledge, including NDAs, PPAs, and MOUs
- Basic technical understanding of renewable technologies
- Ability to travel upon request
- Proficiency with data analysis, forecasting, and budgeting
- Willingness to work and thrive in a culture of respect, communication, and accountability in a highly dynamic environment.
- US and Latin America experience
- Spanish language fluency
- Financial or energy system modeling
- Full time position
- Geographically flexible. Must be close to international airport. Preferably in areas of company operations (Bay Area, CA; Chicago, IL).
- Health, dental, vision benefits, 401k and paid time off included
- Salary depending on experience. Eligible for commissions and bonuses.
Prepare an original cover letter explaining exactly why this position appeals to you and your relevant experience. Submit your cover letter, resume, and one example of your work (eg training, article, presentation).