Clinical Pharmacy-Hematology/Oncology Specialty (TMC Cancer Center)
Position develops, implements, and monitors clinical pharmacy programs to improve patient care with an additional focus on decreasing cost; provides clinical services to patients and professional staff; interacts with medical staff on drug utilization and cost containment. May be asked to assist in supervising the activities of all department employees in consultation with the department Director and/or Pharmacy Manager.
Experience in an inpatient and outpatient setting is highly desired. PGY2 Oncology Specialty residency.
- Bachelor of Science with equivalent experience or clinically oriented Master of Science degree accepted or Doctorate of Pharmacy degree; Completion of ASHP accredited pharmacy practice residency or fellowship or demonstration of equivalent experience preferred
- Licenses/Certifications: Licensure in State of Texas; Pharmacy Sterile Product certification through an accredited program such as ASHP.
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Ability to promote teamwork, build effective relationships, and to lead/facilitate work groups
- Strong customer service skills
- Knowledge of pharmacy and hospital computer systems and computer-assisted devices
- Familiarity with health care reimbursement environment
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of “we advance health” through innovation, accountability,empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Develops and maintains a communication system which assures effective flow of information to and from staff.
- Serves as a role model for competent professional practice by educating, mentoring, and supporting pharmacy students, staff, residents, and peers.
- Seeks and recommends potential opportunities for cost containment.
- Seeks new ways of improving clinical pharmacy services. Works with others to continually identify areas for improvement.
- Effectively plans and manages resources for continuity of care between the patient care area, Pharmacy and other settings.
- Participates in orientation and continuing education programs. Serves as a resource to pharmacy staff, physicians, and nurses.
- Assists with clinical research designed to evaluate clinical and economic outcomes of drugs and drug regimens.
- Works to develop, coordinate, and evaluate target drug programs, restricted drug programs, medication use-based performance assessment and improvement indicators, drug usage evaluation programs and cost containment programs.
- Develops and implements utilization reviews targeted for expensive, potentially harmful or improperly used drugs.
- Provides direction and guidance for development and review of clinical pharmacy educational services. Assists with implementation of educational programs for physicians and nursing staff.
- Oversees the clinical students/residency program.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education, skills competency, supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor, and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- ASHP Accredited PGY2 Hematology/Oncology Pharmacy Practice Resident completed (if none-require 5 plus yrs inpatient/outpatient oncology clinical practice )
- Inpatient and Outpatient Oncology Treatment experience
- Must have Doctorate of Pharmacy degree
- IV Certification (may review ASHP approved credits from academic facility)
- Current Texas license or in progress
Nice to Haves :
- 5 plus years of experience plus residency
- Experience in a teaching hospital, level I/Level II trauma designation highly preferred
- General oncology specialty experience