R&K Solutions, Inc. is seeking a motivated and qualified professional engineer or registered architect to lead, manage, quality assure and perform on-site facility condition assessments for a DoD client conforming to USACE's suite of Sustainment Management System (SMS) processes and software. Work will be both on-site at multiple campuses of DoD facilities, including commercial scale buildings, structures, utilities, and horizontal assets. Individual will lead a team of up to five personnel and be responsible for condition assessment quality, data management and reports.
R&K is an employee-owned company and an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability.
- Manage a team of individuals for site-based assessments, including personally performing assessment work.
- Perform assessments of client buildings and structures utilizing professional expertise and judgment to determine physical condition and conformance with building codes and relevant inspection criteria.
- Use a tablet-based inspection system, and paper-based system to identify and document building equipment and component condition and provide justification for determination of the physical condition.
- Identify and annotate SMS defined distresses in SMS software.
- Develop, manage, execute and brief a project work plan including tasks, schedule, and resources based on client's requirements and specifics for a portfolio of constructed assets.
- Assess multiple buildings within large complexes, identifying major components and sub-components as well as supporting systems.
- Generate and package reports for customer review.
- Manage and conduct project meetings with staff, clients and other associated stakeholders.
- Oversee performance of assessment team including facility technicians and tradesmen. Lead a team of condition assessment professionals in a field environment including inspection of all architectural, structural, plant, mechanical, HVAC, electrical and fire protection components of buildings.
- Read building plans and drawings to develop accurate component and building system lists. Catalogue and enter components, systems and building equipment into SMS software from plans, drawings and direct observation.
- Possess a mastery of UNIFORMAT II asset data structure down to level 4.
- Perform other related duties as directed.
- Bachelor of Science in an engineering discipline (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering, Construction Management) or a Bachelor of Science in Architecture
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) in an engineering discipline or a Registered Licensure in Architecture. No specific state required for either license.
- 10 Years of demonstrated experience in facilities engineering, construction, building design or facility maintenance.
- Three years of experience with Construction Engineering Research Laboratory's (CERL) SMS BUILDERTM condition assessment process and software, including conducting field assessments, data entry, and report generation preferred.
- Knowledge of Department of Defense facilities is preferable.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Possess strong written and oral communications skills, including experience with technical writing and briefing to senior management.
- Proficiency in SMS database import and export capabilities, both with SMS web-service and SMS remote entry device preferred.
- Holding or capable of achieving a DoD Secret Security clearance
Physical Requirements: Individual must be fully ambulatory, which includes the ability to climb stairs and ladders. When performing condition assessments, individual must be able to carry work gear and walk and/or stand for the length of the workday up to five consecutive days, climb ladders and vertical ladderways, work at heights and in close spaces, possess agility to safely move about machinery in tight spaces and be able to tolerate exposure to a variety of environmental conditions (weather, noise, temperature - such as working in boiler rooms).
Must be able to travel routinely. Majority of the work performance is in the Northern Virginia area.