Organization: Maitri is a non-profit agency in the San Francisco Bay Area whose vision is a society where all relationships are based on dignity, equity, and compassion. Maitri’s mission focused programs help provide critical services that empower South Asian survivors of domestic violence, and move the needle on prevention of abuse in the South Asian community and beyond.
Job Summary: We are looking for a compassionate and dynamic individual to join a team of passionate advocates providing culturally responsive services to the South Asian community and beyond. The Maitri Helpline Advocate will be responsible for covering live helpline between 12 pm and 4 pm with occasional flexibility/ availability to work other hours, and to provide crisis intervention, peer counseling, referrals to resources and coordinate volunteers to monitor the helpline at all other times. This position is non-exempt / part-time with an average of 25 hours/week though hours may vary within the month.
- Provide culturally and linguistically appropriate live helpline coverage and serve as the first point of contact for those needing Maitri services
- Provide crisis intervention, peer counseling, referrals to resources during live helpline coverage
- Provide safety planning to DV survivors who call the helpline
- Connect with peer counselors to follow up on and coordinate services for clients
- Collect and maintain data on helpline service outcomes and on peer counseling services
- Compile and provide reports as needed on the Helpline and Peer Counseling programs
- Evaluate helpline services by facilitating evaluation surveys once a year and apply learnings
- Sign up, train and schedule volunteers for culturally and linguistically appropriate crisis helpline coverage
- Provide support for staff and volunteers to implement services
- Comply with all confidentiality requirements, ethical and legal obligations of the program and agency
- Case management of clients as needed, especially to provide language support
- Maintaining and updating resource list on a regular basis
- Processing clients mail including communicating with peer counselors and other staff about client mail
- Other administrative tasks and duties as assigned relating to client advocacy
General Administrative/ Other:
- Assist in general administrative work at the Maitri office as needed
- Ensure accurate maintenance of records and timely reporting
- Compile and provide reports as needed for projects and grants
- Attend monthly staff and volunteer meetings to foster understanding and communication, and growth as a Maitri team member
- Support all agency activities and events and team members as needed
- Ensure compliance with language access mandates imposed by city, state or national authorities
- Uphold and maintain Maitri’s Leadership Principles Framework in all behaviors and interactions
- Commitment to Maitri's mission and values
- Fluency in at least one South Asian language and English. (Knowledge of Hindi or Punjabi is a plus)
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) with at least 1 year of experience in community based advocacy or social service work
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working effectively with people in crisis situations with patience, compassion, and flexibility
- Experience working respectfully with persons of diverse ethnic, religious, educational, language, sexual orientation, and cultural backgrounds
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule when needed and to complete tasks on hand
- Basic proficiency in using Internet, MS Outlook, Excel, and Word
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; to manage multiple tasks and prioritize tasks and projects; to be detail-oriented, well-organized and flexible;
- Willingness to work some evenings and/or weekends based on agency needs, if required.
- A valid US work authorization required, Maitri will not sponsor work visas at this time
- Valid driver’s license
- Cleared background check (fingerprinting), valid TB test
- Must have completed or be willing to complete 40hr California State Domestic Violence Counselor certification (training will be provided)
We provide an excellent benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K, paid vacation and sick time off.
Please include a cover letter and resume in your application. Please be ready to provide at least two references. A background check will be required to be completed prior to hiring. No phone calls please.
Maitri is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We may be unable to respond to each email based on the volume of applications received.