Organization: Maitri is a non-profit agency in the San Francisco Bay Area whose vision is a society where all relationships are based on dignity, equity, and compassion. Maitri’s mission focused programs help provide critical services that empower South Asian survivors of domestic violence, and move the needle on prevention of abuse in the South Asian community and beyond.
Job Summary: We are looking for a compassionate and dynamic individual to join a team of passionate advocates providing culturally responsive services to the South Asian community and beyond. The Maitri Legal Advocate will be responsible for providing culturally responsive legal advocacy services to survivors of gender based violence. This position is non-exempt / part-time with an average of 20 hours/week though hours may vary within the month.
- Facilitate culturally and linguistically appropriate, non-judgmental, trauma informed client advocacy
- Provide information and education about dynamics of domestic violence and legal options available
- Provide culturally and linguistically appropriate support with restraining order and other legal paperwork
- Provide culturally and linguistically appropriate court accompaniment to clients during criminal, family and immigration court proceedings
- Facilitate weekly and as needed in-house attorney consultations with clients
- Provide peer counseling, advocacy, referrals to attorneys and information to clients in-person or over the phone throughout their maneuvering through the legal system.
- Assist in general administrative work at the Maitri office as needed
- Ensure accurate maintenance of records and timely reporting
- Compile and provide reports as needed for projects and grants
- Attend monthly staff and volunteer meetings to foster understanding and communication, and growth as a Maitri team member
- Support all agency activities and events and team members as needed
- Uphold and maintain Maitri’s Leadership Principles Framework in all behaviors and interactions
- Commitment to Maitri's mission and values
- Fluency in at least one South Asian language in addition to English preferred.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) with preferably 1 year of experience in DV advocacy, community based advocacy or social service work; experience with legal services or the legal field is a plus
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working effectively with people in crisis situations with patience, compassion, and flexibility
- Experience working respectfully with persons of diverse ethnic, religious, educational, language, sexual orientation, and cultural backgrounds
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule when needed and to complete tasks on hand
- Basic proficiency in using Internet, MS Outlook, Excel, and Word
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; to manage multiple tasks and prioritize tasks and projects; to be detail-oriented, well-organized and flexible;
- Willingness to work some evenings and/or weekends based on agency needs, if required.
- A valid US work authorization required, Maitri will not sponsor work visas at this time
- Valid driver’s license
- Cleared background check (fingerprinting), valid TB test
- Must have completed or be willing to complete 40hr California State Domestic Violence Counselor certification (training will be provided)
Due to current circumstances, we may need the person to work remotely temporarily but also be available for office visits and events as and when required
Please include a cover letter and resume in your application. Please be ready to provide at least two references. A background check will be required to be completed prior to hiring. No phone calls please.
Maitri is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We may be unable to respond to each email based on the volume of applications received.