General Volunteer Information
Your goal as a data visualisation volunteer will be to improve the data visualisation capabilities of MapAction and its partners. Through your expertise you will literally be taking MapAction’s products beyond the map.
Within this role you will have the opportunity to be involved in:
- Setting the gold-standard for excellence in visual communication and graphical interface with data for GIS and Humanitarian technology organisations.
- Producing reports and dashboards, maintaining and adapting them over time.
- Test and publish dashboards, visualisations, charts or software, ensuring professional, consistent results.
- Relishing the opportunity to investigate and understand business requirements, thereby planning the best possible solutions to address data needs across our teams and partnerships
- Partner with tech teams and business professionals to develop visualisations, key-metrics and communicative tools, appreciating how best to align with each domain’s priorities with sensitivity to their specific requirements.
- Assisting in the preparation of reports, charts, info-graphics, internal and public material using a broad array of visualisation and data modelling methods, with the opportunity to further expand one’s knowledge and abilities to include statistical methods, data-science, front-end development and understanding of GIS and humanitarian aid.
- Be comfortable with the collection of data from a broad range of sources, assessing quality against existing and newly developed criteria, and also processing or normalising data-sets accordingly with the given context.
The criteria listed here are in addition to the general criteria outlined for all volunteers
- At least one year of professional experience working in the area of data visualisation is required
- Power BI / Tableau experience, (or other business intelligence and analytics tools)
- Comfortable working in a distributed team and comfortable working autonomously and with initiative when necessary
- User-first design thinking
- Experience in understanding partner needs and requirements, in particular working with non-technical clients
- Proficiency with data visualisation libraries like d3.js, leaflet.js
- Experience with client-side frameworks and libraries such as React, Redux, Angular or Vue
- Project management experience
- Humanitarian knowledge/experience
- Adventure or professional travel experience
- Relevant international work experience
- Knowledge of languages (particularly French and Spanish)
- Templating tools like Figma
- SQL, RDBMS or NoSQL experience
- Experience with data modelling
This job has now closed
You can find more jobs over on our careers page.
See More Jobs