General Volunteer Information
In the MapAction Software Development Lab there is space for volunteers with knowledge about specific GIS software development for both desktop and server based products as well as specialists in web development and web mapping. Have you worked in collaborative software development projects with software development skills such as OO design, software architecture, design patterns, source code management and testing regimes? Then you would be invaluable to the Lab.
Within this role you will have the opportunity to be involved in:
- Enhancing existing software
- Implementing new solutions to meet the requirements of internal and external projects
- Working with the Data Science team to enhance software used in data processing
Role specific criteria
The criteria listed here are in addition to the general criteria outlined for all volunteers
- Three or more years of professional experience working in a software development team, as a developer, tester or other role ideally in a collaborative multi-developer environment.
- For desktop development: proven ability in C# and/or Python development ideally with a deep knowledge of at least one of these languages.
- Experience of or demonstrated willingness to learn testing regimes including unit and regression testing and continuous integration.
- Experience in understanding partner needs and requirements, in particular working with non-technical clients.
- Experience of developing with ESRI’s GIS product suite and other geospatial technology.
- Experience of participating in a volunteer organisation or open source projects.
- Knowledge of git, Github or other version control systems.
- Software Developers joining MapAction may not automatically be eligible to join the Deployable Team (i.e. those who travel to emergencies are short notice) but would ideally be able to do so. Eligibility to join the Deployable Team is based on different criteria to those above. A higher standard of desktop GIS knowledge would be required for the Deployable Team than would be required for Software Development, though this is not the only difference.
- Project management experience.
- Humanitarian knowledge/experience.
- Adventure or professional travel experience.
- Relevant international work experience.
- Knowledge of languages (particularly French and Spanish)
This job has now closed
You can find more jobs over on our careers page.
See More Jobs