Penfold is the challenger pension. We’re re-building the pension stack from scratch to drag a multi-trillion pound industry out of the dark ages. Our platform finally delivers a user centric customer experience that helps everyone save for retirement, no matter their working circumstances.
We have over £5.5 million in funding and are backed by some of the world’s most successful FinTech investors. We started by launching a simple and flexible pension for the self-employed and now have thousands of active customers and are growing at a phenomenal rate.
About the Role
Penfold have just launched our tech enabled alternative to traditional auto-enrolment schemes (think NEST, Aviva, People’s Pension). Employers can choose to enrol their team in Penfold’s pension. We believe that our technology (modern app and API payroll connectivity) makes the experience 10x better for employers and employees; but it’s not just the technology, Penfold provide a fully managed employee experience to help everyone understand their pension.
We already have some strong early market signs that there is a huge appetite for our product. Without any outbound sales we’re fully booked with meetings but we have huge ambitions to help everyone have access to an amazing digital pension.
Penfold are looking for our first ever full time sales hire, this is a new role, function and division within Penfold. You will have the opportunity to work closely with our Workplace Lead and Founder as well as our operations, customer success and product teams.
Here’s some of the stuff you could be doing:
- Generate new opportunities from outbound sales, networking and other creative activities
- Performing pitches and demos to leaders, demonstrating the value of pensions in general but specifically Penfold’s product.
- Account planning and mapping helping us grow our pipeline of large strategic accounts.
- Managing our pipeline and helping employers make the decision to use Penfold sooner.
- Helping to define and understand our ideal customer profile and primary contact methods. We have some early thoughts but we want you to be part of this too and share your experience.
- Developing a deep understanding of our product and the pension world. You don’t need to be a pension expert but rather someone that enjoys cutting through complexity and jargon to help customers understand.
- Running events and webinars. These have been successful for us in the past and we would love you to be involved in running/managing them with the Founder.
- Codifying and scaling our sales process. As the first hire in what will be an important team in Penfold you would be responsible for contributing to building our “sales playbook” and helping to hire and train new team members.
- Have 4+ years of sales experience.
- Enjoy speaking to and interacting with employers; and getting our pitch out.
- Be excited to get Penfold’s message to as many people as possible.
- Resilient to keep going in the challenging world of start-ups.
- Enjoy doing unscalable things for a while; we haven’t automated or perfected each process so there are times we roll up our sleeves to do something manual then learn and automate
- Be excited to help build a new process; it means we won’t always have the answers but we’ll work together to figure them out!
- Be able to communicate in a team with clarity and confidence both verbally and written, with strong skills in Microsoft Office / G-Suite
- Be comfortable in working in a fast-paced environment with the ability to work to deadlines and juggle multiple, often changing priorities
- Be enthusiastic, motivated and eager to learn
- Find the idea of working for an early stage tech startup really exciting
- Care about our mission to keep an entire generation out of poverty in retirement
- Be prepared to work hard!
We’re at the early stage of building our workplace product and we see this as a crucial role to be #2 in the workplace team. This person could grow within the role to lead a large and successful sales team, completely disrupting the £6trn retirement savings industry.
We’re working hard to create a working environment where people feel empowered to do their very best work, make a significant impact, end enjoy what they do.
We’re a team of 20 in the next few months and extremely fast growing. As an early employee, you’ll have a huge say in defining our culture and what it’s like to work here. You’ll also have uncapped opportunities for progression, learning and exposure to different areas of the business.
At Penfold, you’ll get:
- A competitive salary. Reviewed regularly to make sure you’re always getting what you deserve.
- Huge on target earnings potential and uncapped bonuses.
- Meaningful pre-Series A share options (you’ll own a part of Penfold and share in our success).
- A massive 10% pension contribution that you don’t need to match (on top of your salary).
- 33 days holiday per year (including 8 bank holidays) and the option to take more.
- All the equipment you need to do your job
- The option to buy a bike tax free, and spread the cost over several months (cycle to work scheme).
- Lots of great little benefits to make working at home or at the office a delight. Think free drinks (soft or alcoholic) and access to a private London rooftop!
- Annual company retreat somewhere great & regular (optional) company socials.
Pre COVID we all worked from a private office at Uncommon Borough, a large co-working space full with all the perks and more plants than a garden centre. We’re on the hunt for a similar new office with fully optional attendance this time. It will be a great space for when you want to come to the office. We’ll buy you the kit you need to be comfortable at home too.
We are 100% committed to building a diverse and representative team. Whatever your race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability - we want to hear from you.