Progression is already used by thousands of employees at companies you know and love. But our ambitions are far far bigger. Our vision is to help everyone build a career that they love. We want to build the most loved product in this category which we're defining under our feet.
That's where you come in.
As one of first engineering hires you'll have masses of autonomy and the ability to move fast and build core UIs, components and interactions, leading major projects and reporting into the founders.
We have an amazing set of investors, a huge vision and a lot of product to build, so expect masses of autonomy, thinking from first principles and tons of face-time with us as we work together on building an amazing business.
About the role
We're looking for a front end engineer to build beautiful, usable and scalable interfaces for our users. You'll lead on all things front-end, from core architectural and technology decisions to implementing and relishing the details of every interaction. For this role we're looking for someone with an appreciation of what it take to be a best-in-class web app in 2021: an understanding of what a good interaction feels like as well the ability to write excellent code.
You'll work closely with the founding team to create world-class products and be influential in deciding how we build the wider team to support them as we grow.
Your skillset and experience:
You'll have demonstrable experience of:
- A passion for amazing interactions and UI, and able to nerd out on CSS
- Working with and/or building APIs, component libraries and design systems for live products
- Strong communication and organisational skills — you'll be able to work effectively in teams or work autonomously as needed
- Working closely with designers, researchers and stakeholders
Bonus points for:
- Data visualisation in D3 or another equivalent library
- Experience of working with Ruby on Rails or React Native
- A basic understanding of Tailwind and utility CSS
- Evidence of an entrepreneurial streak — Github open source contributions, a side project you're proud of or a past success or failure which tells your story
What you're getting into
You'll be one of first engineers at Progression. Not only do we need you to help with the volume or work but we also need someone to apply themselves to helping us scale what we do: our product, our maintainability and our processes. You'll have a huge role in deciding how we structure the code, the technology we use and will have a big impact on the quality of work we ship.
You'll have a great time if you want:
- To get in on the very ground floor of a new tech company
- Huge influence over all front end architecture across our current web app, marketing site and any future domains
- High level goals and a lot of freedom to run
- The ability to prioritise, justify and manage your own roadmap
- To write a lot of code, move fast and also have influence over UX and look and feel
- To learn unfamiliar things quickly so you can unblock yourself
- To work on the most business critical projects, whatever they are
We may not be the right fit if you'd like to:
- Work in a large product team with lots of other engineers
- Specialise in one aspect of engineering (e.g API design)
- Specialise in one language or framework (e.g. Rails or React)
- Work in an office 5 days per week
What we'll do for you
We'll do everything we can to make you feel comfortable with what you're getting in return for believing in us.
- A generous share options package
- 25 days holiday allowance, which we will expect you to use
- Remote flexibility — flexible hours, work from anywhere
- Remote benefits (e.g. a stipend towards coffee and a good chair — you tell us what you want!)
- Regular in-person working sessions and kick-offs whenever we need, once we're able to
- Off-sites and hangouts somewhere nice
- £1000/year for training, coaching or personal/professional support, and very regular career growth conversations (it's kind of what we do...)
We're careful about how we hire
We really care about hiring thoughtfully and from all backgrounds (see our pledge). Whatever your race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability, we want to hear from you.
Thats not just hollow words. We're:
- Ensuring a fair and rigorous hiring process, whether we know you or not
- Doing everything we can to create a diverse candidate pool
- Ensuring diversity in our interview panel (i.e., not just us!)
If you aren't sure whether you tick all the boxes but you want to apply, please do! We'd love to meet you.