A lecturer is responsible for performing of a range of lecturing, administration, professional duties, and activities to deliver the highest quality of education to our students. As a lecturer you are responsible for engaging students in the learning processes to ensure student outcomes are maximised. You are also responsible for the teaching and development of a range of subjects across the curriculum.
• 25 days annual leave, plus 8 public holidays
• 1 day extra leave per year of service, up to a maximum of 5 days
• Workplace pension scheme with NEST
• Tuition reimbursement for career development courses
• Cycle to Work scheme
• Access to GBS “Life” - discounts platform, wellbeing centre and much more
• Reward and recognition programme
• £500 award employee referral scheme
• Discretionary annual performance bonus
• Specsavers eye care vouchers
• Totum discount card access and Costco membership
ROLE and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- All aspects of planning, delivering, and assessing student work, ensuring that all learning outcomes are met.
- Develop, update, and improve course materials as appropriate.
- Use a variety of learning and teaching methods/materials including live online learning.
- Attend meetings as required, to contribute to the decision-making process and to develop productive working relationships within the various teams you will be engaged with.
- To actively be involved in staff development activities and peer observations
- Understand and keep up to date with student support to ensure our students have the full support and guidance they need.
- To participate in the GBS performance management programme, meeting a range of clearly defined objectives for student outcomes, student satisfaction, retention and attendance.
- Undertake administrative duties as agreed with your line manager
- Take on other responsibilities as required to support the work of GBS.
Essential Skills and Experience
- You will hold qualifications at least Master’s level and will usually hold a PhD or be able to demonstrate equivalent high level professional experience in a related area
- Teaching qualifications: PGCHE, MA in HE Practice or FHEA etc
- Previous lecturing experience for similar courses
- Experience supervising student work and providing support and feedback
- Experience teaching in the wider subject area.
- Experience with distance learning and supporting learners both online and face to face.
- Professional conduct in all interactions with staff and students.
- Extensive knowledge of relevant subject matter.
- Attention to detail and accurate reporting.
- Ability to maintain thorough and organised student records.
- Ability to work under pressure, plan and prioritise own workload to meet tight deadlines.
- Highly motivated and able to work with minimum supervision.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people.
The Lecturer will also be expected to demonstrate their commitment:
- to GBS values and regulations, including equal opportunities policy.
- the GBS’s Social, Economic and Environmental responsibilities and minimise environmental impact in the performance of the role and actively contribute to the delivery of GBS’s Environmental Policy.
- to their Health and Safety responsibilities to ensure their contribution to a safe and secure working environment for staff, students, and other visitors to the campus.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned.
Direct Reports: no
Indirect Reports: no
Budget Responsibility: no