Billing managers perform various functions in ensuring the effective management of the medical billing/intake department.
The duties, tasks, and responsibilities commonly performed by billing managers who work in the medical field are presented in the sample job description below:
- Perform as a practice expert at the department on all issues relating to billing and intake processes
- Supervise the billing/intake department operations; perform duties such as charge entry, payment posting, reimbursement management, referral intake and insurance verification, claim submissions, and accounts receivable follow-up
- Carry out audits of current procedures and processes, discover billing/intake operations areas to improve on and effect the necessary actions
- Train, allocate work, and resolve problems among billing office personnel
- Carry out performance evaluation of personnel and recommend necessary actions
- Provide motivation to employees to achieve their best performance and high degree of productivity
- Ensure quality and appropriate trainings are provided to newly hired and existing billing/intake staff through effect supervision and coordination of the training process, and by adhering to established company operating policies, procedures and systems, protocols, techniques, and standards
- Coordinate time away requests of team members to ensure the daily functions of the department is not negatively affected
- Carry out analysis of trends affecting coding, charges, accounts receivable, and collection, and assign manageable tasks to billing staff
- Collaborate with other departments to get and analyze additional information about patients to be able to record and process billing effectively
- Ensure the billing/intake department carries out all its activities in accordance with its overall protocol, and also that they complied with payer, State, and Federal requirements, regulations, and guidelines
- Ensure strong team building and protocol in the billing and intake department by holding bi-weekly staff meetings
- Give report of all concerns and issues at the department to the Director of Revenue for prompt necessary action.