San Francisco Bay Area, California, United States
Our Fortune 500 client is a trusted industry-leading global supplier of large innovative electromechanical equipment and services. On their behalf, we have been retained to find an experienced Manager, Manufacturing Engineering to be based in Fremont, California.
We are The Adkins Group, Inc. (www.theadkinsgroup.com), a retained executive search and recruitment services firm focused primarily on the technology sector.
This is a newly created role as a result of growth in the business, with a need to strengthen the leadership and strategic foundation further with the addition of an experienced manager.
This group you will join is responsible for both (a) fast beta shipments to customer(s) and (b) flawless transition of latest generation products to high volume manufacturing. The manufacturing validation of new designs in MFG along with the multi-product/stakeholder/receiving factory aspects will require you to come up to speed in a highly dynamic environment. Your solid leadership skills and track record will ensure in parallel, that the development, career growth and work-life balance needs of the engineers are met.
In this role, you will:
· Lead an engineering organization in a dynamic, multi-product, multi-factory, global company.
· Ensure delivery of product/program objectives for manufacturing quality, labor content, cycle time, and factory fitment.
· Help create and manage a unified Design For Manufacturing (DFMA) vision, with a big-picture understanding and with stakeholder alignment.
· Collaborate effectively across organizational and functional boundaries to achieve world-class DFMA results.
· Utilize your strong and balanced background in engineering, people management and manufacturing.
· Be responsible for defining and executing a unified DFMA vision across all product lines.
· Define and secure stakeholder alignment of engineering and workmanship standards required to meet DFMA objectives
· Develop and scale a diverse team of engineers that effectively and positively influence the design and manufacturing of new products.
· Foster a high-performance culture, holding engineers accountable for team development in addition to business results.
· Partner with Pilot Manufacturing to ensure pre-release systems are shipped on-time and with like-new quality.
· Identify and drive adoption of emerging technologies and practices that support the DFMA vision.
· Influence design decisions- BOM structure, product commonality, component selection- to accelerate product transition and improve cost and quality performance.
· Identify fixturing and process requirements for new product lines.
· You will initially have around 8-12 reports, which may also include engineering supervisors (with sub-reports).
· If the following describes you, we would love to talk with you about the role:
-Have 10+ years of related experience and at least 4+ years in engineering and/or manufacturing management within large electro-mechanical systems companies.
-Have solid experience leading and scaling teams of design, systems, and/or manufacturing engineers in a high-customization, low-volume electromechanical system product environment.
-Have a strategic (big-picture) mindset, resilience and people leadership skills.
-Have a technical and functional expertise (breadth and depth) for fast and effective problem solving
-Have a strategic vs. tactical mindset.
-Are great with people, network and leveraging cross-functional team strength
-Have experience in building & developing high performing teams in a dynamic multi-product factory that requires flexibility and resilience to fast changing requirements.
-Have solid experience in setting & driving Design For Manufacturing (DFMA) and assembly mistake proofing (through pFMEA approaches) with upstream product design groups.
-Have experience in understanding and meeting the scalability, volume manufacturing process needs & assembly line-fitment requirements of downstream internal customers (High Volume Manufacturing).
-Have a demonstrated capability to collaborate effectively across organizational and functional boundaries in a medium or large-sized organization.
-Have excellent interpersonal communication and people management skills.
-Have strong analytical skills, including statistical analysis.
-Are comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; the ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations.
-Are result oriented with ability to manage and scale an organization.
-Have familiarity with virtual manufacturing and model-based-design (MBD) techniques.
-Have experience with pFMEA and assembly mistake proofing methodologies.
-Have a willingness to travel in support of global responsibility set (up to 15%, occasional international).
-Have a BS, MS, or PhD in appropriate engineering discipline. MBA or equivalent executive leadership experience is ideal.