SF Bay Area, or Portland, Oregon, CA or OR, United States
Our Fortune 500 client is a trusted industry-leading global supplier of large innovative electromechanical equipment and services. On their behalf, our firm has been retained to find an experienced Managing Director, Strategic Commodities, Global Supplier Management to be based in the San Francisco Bay Area or Portland, Oregon.
As a leader in our client’s Global Supplier Management organization, this critical position requires a passionate, driven leader who will architect and deliver strategic directions to the organization’s supply chain, ensuring the company is positioned to be a winner in a complex, fast paced, highly competitive industry.
Initial focus will be to architect commodity supply chain to support a growing global business with a high degree of complexity. This includes aligning resources, prioritizing strategies, establishing targets, and implementing growth and cost initiatives that support the broader business strategy.
You will reside within the Global Operations Supply Chain organization and report to the VP of Supply Chain. You will collaborate with the Executive Management team, Supply Chain Executives and Product Group Executives.
▪What you’ll do:
--Develop a 3-year vision, strategy and organizational structure for commodities that fall within the Fabrication space. The strategy should enhance competitive differentiation and address commodity availability, quality and cost.
--Execute the vision and implement the strategy by gaining executive alignment and motivating and engaging the workforce to fulfill the vision.
--Drive business processes that enable effective prioritization and facilitate faster customer solutions.
--Develop and present meaningful and impactful messages to a wide array of audiences: C-level, Peer VPs, Global Supply Chain, Suppliers and Customers.
--Source commodities and capacity planning for supplier’s investing $500-1,000M capital to support the company over a 3-year horizon.
--Expand to more capable suppliers that are globally distributed to better meet business needs.
--Manage risk in a supply chain that is heavily single sourced.
--Deliver supplier investments in R&D to support/differentiate the company.
--Lead sourcing negotiations. Responsible for commercial negotiation that result in annual savings.
--Oversee the management of ongoing supplier relationships to deliver negotiated value.
--Make decisions under pressure, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure.
--Be able to navigate company and supplier constraints such as source locking and moving suppliers.
--Successfully operate across boundaries.
--Relationship Management – develop strong, collaborative and effective relationships with the internal product groups; including when supply chain and product group goals are opposing.
--Provide inspired leadership and direction to the global supply chain organization. Continue to build and develop a world class team in an environment where successful people want to work.
--Lead a geographically dispersed team of approximately 30 employees, including some matrix employees.
--Build and maintain a strong employee organization through strategic hiring, development, and performance management.
--Develop and execute the optimum geographic distribution of the organization to get the desired results most effectively.
--Prioritize the activities of the organization to achieve best in class results.
--Instill a culture of quality and discipline into all of our suppliers.
· A minimum of 15 years of professional experience, preferably with a minimum of 5 years in executive management roles.
· Has worked in an executive leadership role within a global matrix managed multi-site company with manufacturing and supplier operations spread over multiple continents with at least $1 billion in revenue.
· Has extensive experience interfacing with customers and suppliers and managing these relationships on product issue identification, problem resolution and total experience.
· Demonstrated business orientation and proactive leadership that identifies and anticipates problems, issues, and risks to a project outcome and manages those issue in advance of a critical situation.
· Demonstrated success at using rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions.
· Proven record in leading a large organization to new level of performance
· Has led and developed high performing teams and demonstrated ability to maintain and engage staff.
· Interpersonal and leadership skills across multiple cultures in North America, Europe and Asia
· Be able to lead & influence technically strong employees
· Believe, practice and reward core values (achievement, honesty and integrity, innovation and continuous improvement, mutual trust and respect, open communication, ownership and accountability, teamwork, think: customer, company, individual)
· Executive presentation skills for internal and external executive presentations
· Operational background required
· Certification in Lean Six Sigma Master blackbelt preferred
· Experience in Large electromechanical systems companies or High-Tech Industry preferred
· Bachelors Degree in Business Operations or Engineering Equivalent, MBA or equivalent post graduate qualification desirable