Senior Data Scientist
Salary dependant on experience
Job ID: 000_101
ABOUT WHITEHAT ANALYTICS
Whitehat Analytics is a boutique Data Science consultancy and our staff work on long term projects with big corporations in Retail, Finance, Energy and Life Sciences as well as Government bodies.
We pride ourselves on the quality of technical and scientific talent we have. We value our developers as people as well as employees. We also offer a very attractive benefits package including 24 days annual leave, private health care, dental treatment, discounted gym membership & private pension.
We are an equal opportunities employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are expanding our team and are looking for a Senior Data Scientist who is driven, passionate and able to develop innovative and effective approaches to solve our clients’ most critical business and analytical challenges. The ideal candidate will possess a background in computer science, natural sciences, mathematics or similar. We are looking for individuals that thrive in cross-functional teams and are eager to share their knowledge and learn from others.
We engage with our clients to serve as catalyst pushing their abilities to apply Data Science and Data Engineering in production settings. As such we offer a varied working environment with exciting and challenging projects that ensure continuous opportunities to develop and progress.
Most of our work is onsite with one of our clients in London or Southeast England, with travel to other parts of the UK as necessary. The company will cover any travel and accommodation costs.
Statistics and Machine Learning
- Conduct exploratory analytics by designing experiments and testing hypotheses on data.
- Write scripts for feature engineering and creation of data assets.
- Develop supervised and unsupervised machine learning models on diverse datasets across structured and unstructured data.
- Design and build models using algorithms appropriate to data volume, type, quality and velocity.
- Perform model validation and hyper-parameter optimisation.
- Project ownership – responsible for key aspects of projects, including identifying business needs and determining tools, data and techniques to address it.
- Rapid prototyping and agile development techniques.
- Creation of engaging visualisations to communicate key findings to both technical and business-focused clients.
- Presenting and depicting the rationale of findings in simple, engaging and easy to understand business terms to a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Communicating with, coordinating and supporting, business experts.
- Mentoring junior data scientists via creation of personal development plans, encouraging team-wide diffusion of knowledge and being a source of analytical best practice.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
Technical Skills – Essential:
- Machine learning algorithms, predictive analytics and statistical techniques (e.g. H20.ai, Tensorflow, Torch, Keras, Caffe, Mahout, Theano, Xgboost, Adaboost libraries)
- High level programming language(s) (preferably Python, Scala, Java, C, C++)
- Statistics and quantitative analytics, forecasting, multivariate testing, and optimization algorithms (e.g. R, Python numerical stack – Pandas, Scipy, Numpy, Jupyter, Numba, Dask, Seaborn, Bokeh, Matplotlib)
- Understanding of dimensionality reduction and ensemble learning techniques.
- SQL, NoSQL and MPP databases (Maria, MySQL, Teradata, HBase, MongoDB, Neo4j, Dynamo, Couchbase)
- Experience with reporting and visualisation technologies.
- Experience bringing Data Science solutions to production.
- Experience working in cloud (preferably AWS)
- Good working understanding of systems, SCM and virtualisation (Docker, Git, Linux/bash)
Technical Skills – Desirable:
- Background in Computer Science or experience in Software Engineering.
- Domain specific knowledge in natural language processing, computer vision, image recognition, speech recognition, anomaly detection or time series data (e.g. OpenCV, CMU Sphinx, gensim, spaCy, SpeechRecognition libraries).
- CI/CD and the DevOps toolchain (e.g. Kubernetes, Jenkins, Ansible, Puppet, Maven, Gradle, Vagrant).
- Front end and API development (e.g. Flask, Django, Tkinter, Swing, AWT).
- Search tools (e.g. Lucene/Elasticsearch).
Project & Leadership Skills:
- Agile project / product development.
- Project ownership and task prioritisation.
- Understanding business needs.
- Rapid development of prototypes and proofs of concept.
- Developing, applying and business cases for a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Presenting technical topics and business cases to stakeholders and co-workers.
- Team leadership.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter care of Human Resources to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Lastname, First name - Job ID: 000_101 by the closing date of 15/08/2019. We look forward to hearing from you.
As much as we would like to hire everybody, we do have to ensure that we both fit together.
- Initial screening with our internal Recruiter
- Telephone interview with the hiring team
- In person meet and greet with executive team; this will include a technical test and presentation, the content of which will be flexible but should highlight the excellence of your work
- Spending time with the teams in our office, so we can both understand how we fit together to make your time with us as rewarding as it will be for us
STRICTLY NO RECRUITMENT AGENCIES